Sunday, August 28, 2011

In Which City do You Dwell?

"O Lord, You are my God. I will exalt You, I will praise Your name, for You have done wonderful things; Your counsels of old are faithfulness and truth." Isaiah 25:1

Our wonderful pastor has been has been teaching through Isaiah, and though part of it is difficult to understand at times, there is also so much to learn from it. One thing that has really stood out to me and that I love is the beautiful picture of Redemption and Restoration that is promised to Israel.

Israel had turned away from God and was in rebellion, but in God's Grace, they returned to Him and worship Him once again. He turned their hearts back to Him. Instead of destroying them, they were given the promise of a Remnant that would redeem them. The people had been living in the city of man, serving self and denying God, but God turned them back to the City of God, the city of life. There is no middle ground, you can either dwell in the city of man or the City of God. In the City of God there is life, hope, redemption, and safety.

I love reading Psalm 121, a promise of hope and safety.

I will lift up my eyes to the hills - from whence comes my help? 
My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. 
He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. 
Behold, He who keeps Israel shall either slumber nor sleep. 
The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade at your right hand. 
The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. 
The Lord shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul. 
The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in from this time forth, and even forevermore.

We are all born sinners, wrapped in a cloak of death. The penalty of sin, which is death, was paid for us on the Cross so that the rags of death could be stripped way and replaced by the garments of life. The same One who redeemed Israel has redeemed all His chosen people. God reached down into the "refuse heap" (Isaiah 25:10) and drew us out to be washed by the Blood and given eternal life. 

How awesome is our God! Let us, every day, remember to Whom we belong, from what we were saved, and the Price that was paid. Thanks be to God!

"O Lord, You are my God. I will exalt You, I will praise Your name, for you have done wonderful things; Your counsels of old are faithfulness and truth."

4 comments:

  1. I've been loving the City of God/City of Man sermons too. We are indeed blessed to have such a wonderful pastor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As things would have it, one of the East Mountain pastors sent out a Bonhoeffer quote today, about giving thanks daily for the Christian fellowship God has placed us in. And indeed I do. I am blessed to have such a congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your recount of your special pastor's sermon. What a privilege to belong to God! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete