Thursday, March 31, 2011

False View of Strength


I was listening to a song today by Lady Antebellum called Long Gone. I've heard it many times and, knowing I probably wouldn't agree with the lyrics, never really paid attention to what it was saying. As I found myself singing along, I stopped in mid sentence...."Wait, this isn't right!"
Here are the words to the first two verses and chorus:


"It's so like you just to show up at my door 
and act like nothing's happened.
You think I'll sweep up my heart off the floor 
and give it to you like so many times before
You're talking to a stranger, I'm not that girl anymore.

That girl is long gone
boy you missed the boat, it just sailed away
long gone, she's not drowning in her yesterdays 
betcha never thought I'd be that strong
well, this girl is long gone

Don't waste your breath with, 'baby, baby please'
'cause I am so not listening
Don't bother getting down upon your knees and trying to beg me
I'm tired of how you twist the truth
You're not talking to the same girl who used to forgive you

That girl is long gone
boy you missed the boat, it just sailed away
long gone, she's not drowning in her yesterdays 
betcha never thought I'd be that strong
well, this girl is long gone."

Really??? Obviously this song is about a guy and a girl, married or not isn't clear, but they've had a fight (also obvious it's not the first time). Is it strange for people to argue or have disagreements? Of course not. But in the song, the girl says that forgiving, trusting, and loving each other, as scriptures teaches us to do, is a weakness. That dumping him, refusing to listen, and not even trying to set things right, is being strong. How messed up is THAT!!! What a distorted view of strength. Strength is not walking way from difficult relationships. Strength is not hardening your heart against those who have hurt you. Strength isn't refusing to talk to people who have offended you. Strength is forgiving, loving, understanding, picking up the pieces and trying again. It is no wonder so many relationships in this culture fail (well, this is only one reason, there are a lot of others).

This reminded me of the movie Fireproof. If you haven't seen it, you should! It is wonderful. It follows the marriage of a couple who have been married for a few years and are in constant conflict. Neither of them are believers and are at the point of divorce, but through some godly influences in their lives, they come to see God's sacrifice, their sin and His Righteousness. I won't tell you the ending in case you haven't see it, but you can probably guess what happens. =) 

5 comments:

  1. very thought provoking, Marissa. It is so true that our culture (especially the women of our culture) pride themselves on their strength and hardness of heart that "gets them through tough times" or whatever. But for Christians it is the opposite, as you said. Our strength comes from within, and is manifested in being able to hold on and trust. Something in CS Lewis's "Mere Christianity" struck me as very profound (from his chapter on marriage) where he is talking about the popular feeling of "being in love" and that we think that once we don't "feel in love" anymore, it's all over. But he sees this feeling of being in love as the explosion that starts the engine of marriage, and the steady, constant power that follows is the actual, self-sacrificing, deep love that last until death. very interesting stuff. Can't wait to see you Sunday! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, that comment was from Camilla (my google account messed up my name and I haven't been able to change it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thoughts Marissa. :) Definitely true... it is a fun song though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meekness= strength under control. Good post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice Risse. good to know you listen to the words and are actually thinking about what you are singing/listening too. love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete