Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Because I Know You're Curious

As I have eagerly anticipated graduating this spring, the ceremony being this Saturday and officially finishing my academic studies in May, I have given much thought to what lies ahead. As many of you may know, I am staying home to pursue my education in home economics, music, and theology, as well as spending much time doing what I love most: serving my family and friends. This may sound so....well....so old fashioned....or girly....or domestic. Why as a matter of fact, YES! I don't expect everyone to be as thrilled as I am, but I want to share with you why I have chosen this course of action as opposed to college.

1) Most importantly I feel assured that this is God's plan for me. I spent much time praying that He would show me what He wanted me to do post high school and I am confident this is it. I have never been more confident about a decision than I am about this one.

2) Being a homemaker is not just a nice idea, it's a Biblical command. Titus 2:4-5 says, "that [women] admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." (italics added) I have planned to be a homemaker as long as I can remember and never wanted to have a career. Thankfully my parents have come to understand the importance of this as well and have always encouraged Caity and I to pursue domestic skills.

3) I feel that staying at home, teaching myself and learning practical skills is the best way to prepare me to be a wife and mother which is my ultimate calling. No college text books, no writing on a chalk board in a lecture hall, and no peer focused college campus is going to prepare me to train and nurture children, cook healthy balanced meals, and juggle all the day to day realness of a home. Spending my time along side my mother, one of the best homemakers I've ever met, and helping in the homes of other godly women, learning from their wisdom and experience, learning by hands on trial and error is what is going to give me a good start.
It's not going to be perfect. It won't make me a flawless homemaker. And I'm sure there will be days when I'll wonder why I decided to do this, but I am sure in the end it will be well worth the effort.

~Striving for Christ,
Marissa

11 comments:

  1. May your children possess the gates of Christ's enemies!

    Amen and amen.

    Pastor Brainerd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my girly, old fashioned, domestic cousin! I like the post, however, I have some thoughts, I'll discuss them with you this weekend! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goody! I look forward to it Meg! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Marissa! There's nothing wrong with being "old-fashioned", "girly" or "domestic". Infact I agree with you that being a homemaker is commanded in the Bible. Hmmmm... one could call the Bible old-fashioned (ancient would be better), but it is in fact as relevant today as it was back in the old days. Truth never changes with time; it is always relevent. So I guess you're not old-fashioned after all! Becoming a homemaker is simply Biblical and the right thing to do! Anyway good for you. :)

    --Silas (It says Big D because Daniel used my e-mail account to make his blog... lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl. :D Such a blessing that the Lord has allowed you the opportunity to pursue this while still in your father's home. God is so good. :)
    ~Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learning to be a homemaker can be just as fun and exciting as going to college if you are striving to please the Lord. I would not exactly call it "old fashioned" but honestly, so what?! If it's what the Lord is calling you to do I'm sure you will be very content. And instead of "girly" I would use "womanly". It's certainly a good thing for a woman to be womanly :)
    Anyway I'm sure that if the Lord blesses you with children they will be very grateful that you decided to pursue the life of a homemaker and prepare for being a wife and mother when you were young instead of getting a college degree which (as you said) would be most likely useless to the role of a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, I must say, as I sat reading the comments after your post, I was most impressed with Daniel's insights... until I saw it was actually Silas! haha (I still like the comments- I'm just not as surprised.)

    Anyway, my two cents: I LOVE it and wish I had done the same! You're bucking the current trend and standing firm on the Word of God! You GO, girl!
    Lots of Love,
    Mrs. Blodgett

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! This is a wonderful post Marissa! And I'm wondering now why you didn't join in on the college debate a bit more.. ;) There are many wonderful adventures ahead of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome choice Marisssa!!!! I believe you will never regret your decision . Standing firm on the word of God is always the right thing to do. Praise God. May God Bless you young lady! YAY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marissa we love this and we love you. Your friendship has been a great benefit to our entire family and we thank you!
    The Wells

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you have made an awesome decision! I did not pursue college and career either. I'm happy to be called old fashioned or domestic. I have always considered myself a domestic missionary, because I believe serving God by serving my family is my highest calling. You join some of the most intelligent, dedicated and beautiful women I know. At times this can be the hardest position I have held but definitely the most rewarding!!
    God bless you and keep you always!

    ReplyDelete