Friday, June 8, 2012

Time That's Never Waisted

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I just got back from an extremely busy couple weeks preparing for a wedding. In the craziness of busy schedules - running here and there, working on projects, and pulling together the small details, it was easy to let one of the most significant and most important things slip away un-noticed. It dawned on me one of the last days that I had not been spending time in God's word. I was letting myself sleep in, getting up, and then jumping into the day without first spending time with the Lord.

I woke up early the next morning, grabbed my sweatshirt and my Bible and sat out on the front porch steps, the sun low in the sky and the world a quiet and peaceful place. I sat out there, un-interupted for almost an hour! That hour was so precious and I wondered how I could ever be 'satisfied' without that time with my Father. Some times when life is busy and time is in a crunch, I am so quick to let my quiet time be the first to go. I almost feel guilty sitting down to enjoy some peace and quiet when there's work to be done. I've realized though that no matter what, spending time in God's word and talking to your heavenly Father is never waisted time. Sure, you don't always have time to read your Bible for two hours, but whatever time you do have is never waisted. 

"The person who truly knows the Lord develops a love for Him and a closeness to Him, so that He begins to shape one's character and values." 

"One does not divine God's will. One lives God's will as one comes to know Him through His will." 
(Both quotes by Bruce K. Waltke)

Have you ever stopped to consider how awesome it is that God hears our prayers when ever and where ever we are? How cool is that. We don't have to sit down and say "ok, I'm going to pray now." We can be going about our daily lives talking to Him - asking for wisdom, praying for friends, seeking His guidance, lifting up needs and concerns. He truly is a Friend that sticks closer than a brother. He is ALWAYS there. Even when we forget, He is faithful. I've had lots to think about the last few days and I've discovered that picking cherries is a wonderful opportunity to think and pray. =) 

If God is not the focus of our lives we lose the proper perspective on everything else.

4 comments:

  1. It's true, God hears you everywhere-even on the trail while backpacking. I was able to pray for several hours over the course of last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing that too, and realized my huge error. I LOVE being in the Word and in prayer. Without it, my whole attitude and thought life is wrong. I need that nourishment daily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've all struggled with this at one time or another. So glad you are developing a hunger and thirst for righteousness while you are still young. Keep going to the Word for your nourishment. Love you! (just in case you didn't know) :-)

    ReplyDelete