Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Whatever....

...things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things." Philippians 4:8

Many times over the last few years I have thought about this verse with specific regard to media*. How do we discern what movies and music are acceptable or not? Is it only good to listen to or watch something if it has a strong Christian message? What about good ole country songs (which I happen to really enjoy) that are just about real life, but not necessarily from a Christian's view of life? There is certain language I wouldn't use myself, but does that mean I should never watch a movie in which the characters use it? 

I have difficulty seeing the difference between God's commands and the modern idea of liberality. Just because the Bible does not specifically state that something is wrong, doesn't mean it is right. 
One thing that always comes to mind is smoking. The Bible doesn't say it's wrong, but it does say we should "present our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is our reasonable service" (Romans 12:1) Everyone knows smoking is harmful to your body and can cause lung and mouth cancer. Is that maintaining our temples for God's service?

 As in all things, I think moderation is a key element, but I also think there are certain things that don't even need to be considered. Where does media fit it? What type of media is acceptable and or worth while? Should our decisions be based purely on what we think is best for us? What about the scriptures that clearly point out that "all the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the spirits" (Proverbs 16:2)? 

I know there is no such thing as "God's list of acceptable movies and music" so what is the principle behind deciding what's good and what's not? The more I think about it, the more I wonder how much media we should allow to consume our lives. It seems that in any situation I can think of when we would be listening to music of watching a movie, there is something better and more worth while we could be doing. In stead of listening to music, quote scripture or listen to sermons, lectures, or books on CD. In lieu of vegging in front of the TV for 2 hours, read the Bible or a good book, have a conversation, do something productive. Now, I'm not saying we should throw media out the window, but I am suggesting we don't pick the best choice when it comes to how we spend our time. 

I would really love to hear peoples thoughts on this. I know it can be pretty controversial. What do you think?


*NOTE: I am strictly talking about listening to music for pleasure, not for worship. 

2 comments:

  1. Great food-for-thought, Marissa. Many wiser than I have written extensively on the subject, but here are my thoughts, such as they are...

    I think a good rule to go why when it comes to books/movies/music is the very verse you listed at the top of your post: Philippians 4:18. Prayer and diligent study of the Word are especially invaluable in this regard, as they sharpen a believer's ability to discern that which is just, pure, true, etc.

    If the redeeming qualities of a film/song/book far outweigh the objectionable material it contains, I think it’s worth looking into, albeit with caution and discernment. However, there are things that - as you said - shouldn't even be considered.

    Rather than run my mouth any further, I'd like to refer you to this article:
    http://americanvision.org/movieology/2131/opinion-confronting-negative-content-in-movies/

    I don't agree with every single thing in it, but it seeks to deal biblically with the very question you raised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marissa, I don't know if you remember me from GB, but anyway, interesting post.

    I wonder though, why are books more worthwhile than movies or music? I've noticed that people just automatically assume that good books are better than movies (good or bad), but why? What's the reasoning?

    Music is, I think a very important part of life. It's power for good or evil is (in my opinion, and I am prejudiced) immense. I think that music is capable of carrying the same messages that you find in good books just as powerfully (lyric and non-lyric music) and that music deserves, time, energy, love. But then, I'm prejudiced. And I fully second what Corey said about music.

    Also, I think this is one of those areas that requires a lot of grace, it may be okay for me to listen to music or movies that it wouldn't be okay for you to listen to. Or vice-versa.

    Anyway, those are my thoughts. They're actually, thanks to a friend, the continuation of a lot of thinking about the subject of your post for the last six monthes.

    Lady Amy

    ReplyDelete