Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I Am Now a Preservationist

I have become a fan of canning. Yes, preserving food. Like a chipmunk, storing up food for the winter, except in my case it's not nuts. Last week when we got a huge harvest of green beans, more than we could eat and with no freezer space, we decided it was time for canning! We started out with green beans, then got a bunch of apples from my aunt and made apple pie filling and cinnamon apples, crushed tomatoes, pickles, black beans, and pinto beans. We kept coming up with one idea after another until our entire week was assigned to a specific food (or two) to can. =) There's something wonderful about putting the work into growing your own food and then preserving it to use in the winter. I didn't get very many pictures in the process and now my camera is toast so I can't get any of the finished products, so you'll just have to imagine our pantry shelves filled with rows upon rows of beautiful colored home canned produce...or almost. =)

As point of clarification: not all of the produce came from our garden. 






2 comments:

  1. How inspiring you are! Maybe one day I will brave canning. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, Marissa! This is just one more skill you can teach me and my daughters. Please. Pretty please.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete