Thursday, May 12, 2011

Writer's Block? Says Who?

My mind draws a blank. I can’t write. A word or two, my fingers stop. What do I say? What can I write? Nothing worth anything comes to mind. Medieval Christianity. What’s there to say? It was full of missionaries, conversions, saints, and the beginning of the reformed movement. How can I stretch all that into500 words? Impossible. Every thing I learned, every book I read, deliberately rushes from my mind just when I need them the most. 
I stare out the window watching the landscapers toss shovel after shovel full of dirt as they dig a hole for a new tree. They’re all Hispanic. How many of them are here legally? Four men carry an aspen to its resting place. It’s leaves quivering and quaking in the wind. Despite the gushing air, the rays of sun and clear blue sky beg to be enjoyed with a blanket, pillow, and book in the grass. A wet tongue and the soft sweet eyes of my companion bring my mind back to my confines within the walls, the computer screen staring at me with it’s blank expressionless face. The empty page begs for words. The soft background music attempts to help me focus, but with summer so close and the end of school only a paper away, how can I focus on anything? My siblings come home in a week; six days for one, eight for the other, but who keeps track of those minor details???
Ah yes, summer, I still have to decided what to allow to fill my days? I want to stay busy and productive, but I want to relax and enjoy the beautiful warm days of my favorite season. Gardening? Yes. Reading? Yes. Babysitting? Ehhh... maybe, but how much? Teaching swim lessons? Maybe. I still need to talk to Caity about that. Being a mother’s helper? Again, maybe. So many uncertainties. So little set in concrete. My graduation party, only nine days away. I have yet to figure all those details out either. *sigh* My thoughts drift back to the one thing keeping me from the freedom of being truly done. Enough of this. I was trying to clear writer’s block. Obviously that’s not my problem. My blank page suffers only from a lack of motivation and the right words. The desire to be elsewhere is my current enemy, not a lack of things to say. Once I start it will come. It always does. 

2 comments:

  1. Uhmmmm...stream of consciousness?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true! it often happens that there is so much to say, just not about what's at hand. i suffer from the same problem. let me know when you figure out the remedy....

    ReplyDelete