Saturday, February 11, 2012

Me - a College Student????!!!!

(no, the picture has nothing to do with the post)

As most of you know I have decided to apply for college. Since my graduation last May, I have been at home helping my mom run the house in various ways, being a mother's helper to a few families we know, pursuing music and photography, sewing and reading. I have learned a lot in the past 9 months and I have been challenged in many ways. I am so thankful for the opportunity to stay at home and serve my family. When I decided last year not to apply for college, and knowing, or thinking that I knew, neither of my siblings would not be at college this next year, I thought last year would be my only opportunity to go so I figured that it just wasn't part of God's plan for me.

However just in the last few weeks things have changed. My sister has decided to stay up in Idaho for her junior year and continue taking classes. When she mentioned the possibility of staying, it got me thinking. Maybe this was my opportunity? Is this really what God wanted me to do? I spent many hours praying, talking to my parents, and thinking. Soon I felt very sure that this was the course God was leading to. I leave it in God's hands whether or not I am accepted.


There are several reasons that I want to go and for those of you who are interested in those reasons, stick around and I'll tell you. =)

-First of all my sister will be there which makes a huge difference. I don't think I would want to go without her or my brother. There is just something about having someone you know and love, who knows you so well, and who you trust to be there for you. Not to mention the fact that she's my best friend. =)

-I want to continue my education and be preparing myself to be the best wife, mother, and teacher I can be for my future family. I want to be well rounded and become a better conversationalist, be able to engage in all types of conversations about theology, politics, current events, books, and life in general. I have so much to learn in this area and I feel that the classes I can take at college will be a huge foundation and launching pad. Also, I am committed to home schooling my kids someday and to give them the best education possible, I need to be as well educated as I can be. In these single years God gives me, I want to use my time wisely and be a faithful servant. Ephesians 5: 15-17 says, "see then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is."

-College will be the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It will push me out of my comfort zone, it will challenge me spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally, but "we glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Rom 5:3) I want to be challenged. I want to be tested and push myself beyond what I think I can do.

-Over the last 4 years that my brother has been in Idaho at this college I have been there 4 times and have gotten to see the community, not to mention what I've heard and seen from my siblings lives up there. The small town is home to two solid churches, ample opportunities to serve, and great accountability.

-The college (New Saint Andrews in Moscow, Idaho) is a very small school with only about 200 students total which means classes are very small.
-The faculty really invests in the students and gets to know them on a personal level.
-It is a Christian college that focuses on liberal arts and culture (that is the only degree they offer). I would be taking Lordship (theology), music (which includes both music theory and concert choir), and rhetoric.
-There are no dorms so the students either live in apartments or with families around town (which is what I would be doing).

2 comments:

  1. lovely, my bestie. I CAN'T WAIT!! <3 a million

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so excited for you. What a wonderful season of life you are in and you, my lovely daughter, are using your time wisely. As the Lord wills...

    ReplyDelete